This guide explains how to integrate Thales nShield Hardware Security Module with Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS) 7.5. It assumes that you have read the appropriate Quick Start Guide and are familiar with the IIS7.5 documentation and setup process.
The Thales nCipher module integrates with Microsoft IIS 7.5 to provide full key life-cycle management with FIPS-certified hardware and to reduce the cryptographic load on the host server CPU. Integration of an Thales nCipher module with IIS 7.5 provides the following benefits:
- Uses hardware validated to the FIPS 140-2 standards
- Improves server performance by offloading cryptographic processing
- Enables secure storage of the IIS keys
- Enables management of the full life cycle of the keys
- Provides fail-over support where multiple HSMs are available