This guide describes how to integrate Thales HSM (nShield Solo, nShield Connect or nShield Edge) with Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS) 8.0. This guide assumes that you are familiar with your HSM documentation, and the documentation and setup process for IIS 8.0.
Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS) for Windows Server is a Web server application. Thales module integrates with IIS 8.0 to provide full key life-cycle management with FIPS-certified hardware and to reduce the cryptographic load on the host server CPU.
Integration of the Thales module with IIS 8.0 provides the following benefits:
- Uses hardware validated to the FIPS 140-2 standards
- Improves server performance by offloading cryptographic processing
- Enables secure storage of the IIS keys
- Enables management of the full life cycle of the keys
- Provides fail-over support where multiple Hardware Security Modules (HSMs) are available