Vormetric Simplifies Enterprise Encryption Key Management
Single Solution for Vormetric, IBM Encryption Expert, Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, and Custom Applications Eliminates Administration Complexity and Security Risks
SAN JOSE, Calif. – Nov. 15, 2011 –Vormetric, Inc., the leader in enterprise systems encryption and key management, today announced Vormetric Key Management, a single solution for central control of encryption keys on an enterprise scale. For organizations with heterogeneous database platforms and an increasing number of encryption keys from disparate encryption systems, Vormetric reduces administration costs and security risks. This new solution extends existing key management technology used in Vormetric Data Security to Oracle and Microsoft SQL Server Transparent Data Encryption(TDE) systems, and custom applications with built-in encryption. Vormetric is deployed by the largest companies in the world today, including seven companies in the Fortune 20.
According to Gartner Inc., “Before jumping into potentially large and complex encryption projects, organizations should consider the available options and enforce a tactical and focused approach to encryption services to minimize the impact to systems, applications, and personnel and critical business processes, such as recovery scenarios... Furthermore, encryption deployments need to have centralized key management. Without key management, organizations will not have auditing capabilities and will lack the ability recover data where a key has been lost or a password has been forgotten.
Vormetric Key Management provides encryption key lifecycle management and enables centralized management of millions of encryption keys and policies. The solution is offered as a Hardware Security Module (HSM) appliance that can secure all keys to ensure they are never lost or compromised, always available, and easy to restore.
Vormetric Key Management Elements
To ensure centralized management and security, as well as seamless support for Oracle TDE, Microsoft SQL Server TDE, and applications with built-in encryption, Vormetric Key Management is comprised of the following three elements:
- Vormetric Data Security Manager - is a HSM appliance that provides centralized key and policy management. It features an intuitive web based management console for enterprise-wide data security administration, policy management and audit of encryption keys
- Vormetric Key Agent for Oracle - supports Oracle TDE and communicates with the Vormetric Data Security Manager to provide secure storage for Master Encryption Keys.
- Vormetric Key Agent for Microsoft SQL Server - supports Microsoft SQL Server TDE and communicates with the Vormetric Data Security Manager to provide life cycle management for Key Encryption Keys.
- Vormetric Key Vault – provides FIPS-certified, high availability storage and backup of symmetric and asymmetric encryption keys of any strength, and tracks expiration dates.
“Enterprises that use discrete encryption point solutions and native database encryption are forced to manage, secure, and control a proliferation of encryption keys. This patchwork is expensive to maintain and can seriously impact business if keys are lost or compromised,” said Ashvin Kamaraju, vice president of product development and technology strategy at Vormetric. “Vormetric Key Management is a purpose-built, robust enterprise key management platform that provides a single point of administration for Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, Vormetric Encryption, IBM Encryption Expert and custom applications. This unified approach reduces IT administration costs, tightens security and centralizes auditing for regulatory compliance reporting.”
Vormetric Key Management supports the following industry standards:
- PKCS#11: The standard for encryption and key management which is available as a library of APIs and works with Oracle 11gR2 Transparent Data Encryption
- EKM: Microsoft Extensible Key Management (EKM) APIs for Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Transparent Data Encryption
- KMIP: Organization for Advancement of Structured Information Standards (OASIS) Key Management Interoperability Protocol (KMIP)
Vormetric Key Management is immediately available to beta users. It will be generally available in March 2012. Current Vormetric customers can upgrade their existing Vormetric Data Security deployments with these new capabilities. KMIP support is scheduled for mid-2012.
Vormetric is the leader in enterprise encryption. The Vormetric Data Security product line provides a single, manageable and scalable solution to manage any key and encrypt any file, any database, any application, anywhere it resides— without sacrificing application performance and avoiding key management complexity. Some of the largest and most security conscious organizations and government agencies in the world, including 7 of the Fortune 20, have standardized on Vormetric to provide strong, easily manageable data security. Vormetric technology has previously been selected by IBM as the database encryption solution for DB2 and Informix on LinuxTM, Unix® and Windows; and by Symantec to provide the Symantec Veritas NetBackupTM Media Server Encryption Option . For more information visit, www.thalesesecurity.com.
Marc Gendron PR
Vormetric is a trademark of Vormetric, Inc. All other names mentioned are trademarks, registered trademarks or service marks of their respective owners.