What Is the 2019 Thales Data Threat Report?
The 2019 Thales Data Threat Report (2019 DTR) presents the results of a global IDC Web-based survey of 1,200 executives with responsibility for or influence over IT and data security. It:
- Takes the pulse of the security industry, particularly with respect to data threats and breaches
- Identifies key data security trends and issues
Respondents are from nine countries: Australia, Germany, India, Japan, the Netherlands, New Zealand, the UK, and the U.S., and represent a range of industries, with a primary emphasis on healthcare, financial services, retail, and federal government organizations. Job titles range from C-level executives including CEO, CFO, Chief Data Officer, CISO, Chief Data Scientist, and Chief Risk Officer, to SVP/VP, IT Administrator, Security Analyst, Security Engineer, and Systems Administrator. Respondents represent a broad range of organizational sizes, with the majority ranging from 500 to 10,000 employees. The survey was conducted in November 2018.
Key findings in the 2019 DTR include:
- Digital transformation is pervasive – and is putting sensitive data at risk
- Multi-cloud security is the top digital transformation problem for data
- Tools that reduce multi-cloud data security complexity are critical
- Encryption technologies are the top tools needed
- No one is safe from data breaches
- For many, preventing data breaches is not an IT security spending priority
- Higher investments in IT security don’t correlate to lower rates of data breaches
- Regulatory and compliance changes introduce new challenges
The report also examines data security as it relates to:
- The Cloud
- Mobile payments
- Internet of Things
- Big Data
Later in 2019, the DTR will become available in multiple geographic and industry editions, which currently are available in the 2018 DTR.